The Disclosure & Barring Service was introduced to help protect children and vulnerable adults by providing a first-class service to support organisations recruiting people into positions of trust.
You Need Us If:
- You have staff working with children or vulnerable adults.
- You have staff who go into people’s homes
- Your staff have unsupervised access to children or vulnerable adults.
MRC Community Action is an Umbrella Body for the Disclosure & Barring Service (formally known as the CRB) and provides advice and support to organisations seeking to obtain a Disclosure.
Providing a dedicated service to your organisation is important to us.
Comments from our clients:
"Can I say in all the years I have been using a registered body, or indeed been one myself, I have never had such an efficient service"
"Hannah is so helpful and nothing is too much trouble, she has supported us through all the recent changes"
What do we offer?
- Assistance with an enhanced DBS check
- Dedicated staff to deal with your application and any enquiries you may have.
- Monitoring progress
- Checking and countersigning forms prior to submission to the DBS.
- Advising outcomes
- Cost effective and efficient service
The current charges for submitting an ENHANCED DBS CHECK are £18.00 (including VAT) per volunteer and £62.00 (including VAT) for a paid member of staff or private individual.
For more information contact Hannah Reeves on 01530 510515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Proving Your Identity (revised for the new guidelines):
Please find information below regarding some important changes that have taken place recently.
Single DBS Certificate - as of 17th June 2013
The DBS will be issuing a single Certificate from Spring 2013. At the moment, two certificates are issued per application
• Upon completion of a DBS Check, only one certificate will be produced by the DBS. This will go directly to the applicant, no certificate will be issued to the employer.
• Organisations will be reliant on applicants to show them their DBS Certificate.
• Organisations will still be able to track applications through the DBS website (www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check) providing they have the form reference number and date of birth of the applicant.
X61 is extended - what you need to do now
Due to a change in legislation, you will need to complete field X61 on the application form differently. Changing the way you complete this field, for all DBS application forms, will endure that any DBS certificates issued after the Update Service commences can be used by the individual in the new service, and to take it with them from role to role within the relevant workforce(s). This is because the Police will now use this broader definition of 'workforce' to assess the relevance of any information that they may consider for release, in place of 'position applied for'.
Organisations should now include one of the following phrases in field X61, line 1:
- 'Child Workforce'. Use this for any position that involves working/volunteering with children.
- 'Adult Workforce'. Use this for any position that involves working/volunteering with adults.
- 'Child & Adult Workforce'. Use this for any position that involves working/volunteering with both children and adults.
- 'Other Workforce'. Use this when the person is not working with children or adults e.g. Security Guard
For an example, please click here
Marlene Reid Enterprises Limited becomes MRC Community Action
As well as the recent changes to the Disclosure & Barring Service, Marlene Reid Enterprises Ltd (formally a trading arm of MRC Community Action) has now merged back and will now be under the name of MRC Community Action.
The means that all former DBS application forms showing Marlene Reid Enterprises Ltd will no longer be accepted to process and only forms showing the correct name can be sent to the DBS.
Any existing organisations who need to update their stock of DBS forms please contact Hannah on the email or telephone number above to order as batch, specifying the amount you would like sent out.
N.B. only applicants who have completed a Disclosure & Barring Check after the 17th June 2013 can join The Update Service.